Based in Whangarei, I make copywriting and content writing easy for New Zealand clients from Auckland to Northland and inbetween.
I’m called upon to help with newsletters, blogs, web pages, transcription, news stories and search engine optimisation plus advertorial, creative writing and social media.
I’m often available to take on new projects so get in touch. Here’s how to contact me.
January-October 2019 – Updates on some of the clients I’ve been helping with communications, copywriting, news releases, journalism, photography, newsletters, blogs and website content management:
Communications from ecentre – business incubator/accelerator at Massey University in Albany
- Innovators Launch Indoor QuadCopter Racing
- Validate Your Business Idea With Starting Blocks – RSVP For April Workshop
- Ecentre’s Innovator Wins Hospital Sleep Research Grant
Communications from Signal – Public security software
- People are selling your stolen data online. Here’s what it looks like.
- How watching the dark web could have stopped a $140,000 theft.
- Don’t wait for the news to tell you about a threat outside.
Communications from Wright Communications
- Band Of Strangers release Christchurch tribute song
- Breakthrough cyber-risk solution launched in Asia-Pacific
- See a Takahe Free This Easter
Communications from Rentals.co
- Knowing the difference between gradual and sudden damage to an investment property
- No letting fees: update
- What happens during the tenant vetting process?
Creating conferences through research, phone interviews and writing advertising
- The Maori Legal, Business and Governance Forum
- The (inaugural) Delivering Disability Services Conference
Writing eCentre business news:
Signal security software blogs and news announcements:
- Selling stolen data online – blog and news
- How watching the dark web could have stopped a $140,000 theft – blog / news
Rentals.co Northland property management services newsletter, news and social media content:
- Extremely awesome e-book from the rental experts Rentals.co
- Insulation news blog
- Urgent update for landlords
Wright Communications – Public relations work:
- I had to master Chinese social media to create this piece of thought leadership for Bananaworks and Wright Communications
- Awards entry writing – the 2019 Westpace NZ Franchise Awards – I helped frame the messages of numerous entrants as a contractor for Wright Communications. Fingers crossed we have captured our clients in the best light!
- News blogs and opinions from Wright’s leadership
- I wrote the foreword to historian Dr Robert Bartholomew’s The Devil’s Garden. The book was inspired by my landmark story ‘South Auckland Segregation’ published in Mana magazine in 2013. Can’t wait to tell my journalism teacher who originally declined to enter the piece in an award I badly wanted to enter because he thought it was a ‘blog’
- The Plunge! Indie Comics Convention – I emceed the event and interviewed 8 guests on stage with livestreamed video
- Improv Mob theatresports – communications
- Creative writing – teaching students at Kamo High School (more on this later)
October – December 2018 content writing for clients:
- Helping authors sort out their online presence around launching books
- Media releases for tech start-up businesses and entrepreneurs, with successful media pick-up
- Writing the family history stories of a Whangarei client. This job involved transcription of stories, formatting the stories into narratives and publishing a booklet
- Publishing creative writing-related pieces in publications such as The Big Idea
- Webpages for an accountancy firm
March-October 2018 content writing work for clients:
- News stories and media releases for Creative Northland
- Newsletters, web pages, SEO and Facebook for a property management client
- Insurance writing – interviews with industry leaders
- Journalism news writing – profiles of actors, athletes and authors
- Delivering creative writing workshops
- More paid journalism for leading news websites
- Seminar on blogging for business
- Columns about property and real estate for Property Plus
- Academic research writing for a gentleman’s thesis
- Blogs about asbestos and meth decontamination for a cleaning company
- Political columns
- Web pages for an information technology and aerial installer
Northland District Health Board
Since 2016 I’ve been providing journalism, proofreading, social media, campaign writing, web content writing and media releases for Northland DHB, usually providing around 25 hours per week of writing support.
Click for examples of what I wrote for Northland District Health Board between 2016 and 2018:
- Media releases put out several times per week
- Facebook social media content . The purpose here is about making the organisation approachable, open, friendly and informative for the public.
- News stories created for media including the client’s quarterly magazine, daily newsletter, social media and more.
- Campaign content, for example a range of written content for the DHB’s Census 2018 campaign.
NZME. / NZ Herald / Herald on Sunday
My first newsroom placement as a student journalist was at the Herald on Sunday. After working for the HOS, including reporting live from the 2014 general election and interviewing members of cabinet, I moved onto casual reporting shifts for what was then the newswire service which was absorbed into NZ Herald. I reported throughout 2014 and provided most of the content for campaigns including Pride of NZ Awards and WWI centenary commemorations.
- Standard sized NZ Herald news stories (400 words)
- In-depth investigative reporting articles
- Campaigns such as Pride of NZ Awards and WWI centenary commemorations
Property Plus magazine
This is a client for who I provide opinion columns in the real estate magazine Property Plus. A good column brings original content, informs the reader and puts a human face on the product being sold.
A one-off feature about members of parliament who have criminal convictions.
Hundertwasser Art Centre with Wairau Maori Art Gallery
I did some volunteer/ pro bono journalism work supporting HAC through writing media releases and taking photos.
Write Up North
When I moved to Northland in 2015, the region had no online hub for creative writers. So I built WriteUpNorth.co.nz from scratch and it is now the number one forum for Northlanders to publish creative writing and creative writing news.
NZ Planning Institute
I worked as the communications intern at NZ Planning Institute at the start of 2015, where my role was to create original news stories and interviews.
Patton Refrigeration and Engineering
An example of a client who needed an in-house magazine published and required my help getting interviews with staff written. https://issuu.com/pattonnz/docs/patton_press_dec_2013
Advanced Computers Ltd / Result IT
Advanced Computers and Result IT used my help from 2016-2017 creating electronic direct marketing (EDMs) on Mailchimp, publishing web pages and handling their social media, including Facebook and LinkedIn.
Next Edition Kitchens, Northland
A one-off job, writing web content which has passed SEO testing on Yoost
A company which really puts heart into their content writing, Intelligent Ink got me to help creating case studies for a property management company as well as web content for Greg Holland jeweller.
Most businesses who utilise Alliance Media to grow need blogs and webpages written. Some clients like to invest in getting fresh blog content every month. This is because a good blog returns massively successful SEO results. I’ve written blogs for clients in the industries of automotive repair, office furniture, catering, politics, ship repair, travel holidays and more.
- Electronic direct mailout newsletters
- Website text to increase SEO, including blogs
- Social media content linked to blogs
- Photo galleries to showcase clients’ work