Case study: How a Whangarei property management company utilised KiwiWords to communicate clearly, regularly and effectively
by Michael Botur, KiwiWords Communications, Content and Copywriting
Ever since Rentals.co’s owner-operators sat down with me in winter 2018, I’ve had the privilege of doing the writing while they did the business growth.
Rentals.co began operating at the end of 2017/start of 2018 with the acquisition of a couple of Northland property management businesses. Today, Rentals.co has a strongly-recognised brand in Northland, an impressive roster of clients, and well-systematised business processes to ensure great delivery of service for tenants.
I can’t claim KiwiWords was responsible for all of Rentals.co’s successes. Rather, I had the privilege of helping Rentals.co’s directors navigate a range of communications challenges, and it’s helped the rental experts go from success to success.
Initial communications challenges in 2018
- Communicate through electronic newsletters and printed letters to hundreds of tenants to let them know about the change in their property management provider
- Express to landlords how and why they should be confident in their property management being handed over to a new operator
- Set up Rentals.co’s website, which is rentalexperts.co.nz rather than rentals.co. This involved writing a brand plan as to why we needed the public to know they were dealing with rental experts
Developing communications challenges in 2019
- Write sales text including ebooks, web copy and e-newsletters to encourage new clients to sign up with Rentals.co for their property managment
- Writing an application tender to take over a large portfolio of Whangarei property management
- Campaign of media announcements to tell the world each achievement by Rentals.co, including video news stories
- Regular updates about Rentals.co’s news via blogs on http://www.rentalexperts.co.nz
- Communications campaign (newsletter, media release, electronic mailout, social media) for a first-of-its-kind Landlords Information Evening at which investors received educational presentations from rental industry experts
- Writing two original ebooks to appeal to investors
- Working with digital solutions designer 1768Degrees.com to set up new website following transfer from old provider
Emerging communications challenges in 2020
Rentals.co spent 2019 perfecting and polishing business process. The Landlords Information Evening was a landmark and cemented the business’s position as a true local expert in property management – not to mention a brand with a lot more soul and approachability than some of the other operators out there.
It’s onwards and upwards for Rentals.co in 2020 and we can expect to see the business achieve the following in its communications:
- Newsletters polished, sent out in a timely fashion each month, with an established tone which matches the brand
- Building on the successes of social media, in particular promotions and giveaways which were effective in building a Facebook audience
- Utilisation of Rentals.co as an approachable voice for local media to talk to to get perspective on issues affecting landlords and tenants
email@example.com / 021 299 0984 / Kamo, Whangarei, New Zealand